Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Need You Help!

Hello Friends and Family!

I wanted to tell you guys about an exciting, upcoming event on April 29, 2010 at the Hermitage Hotel in Nashville that hope you will attend. But let me start a little further back, and tell you how I came upon this wonderful organization called Ordinary Hero.

As far back as I can remember, I have just always had a deep love for children. Then, back in high school, I had the opportunity to go to Ukraine and work in orphanages there. It was then that God really broke my heart for these very needy, oh-so-worthy little people that are all over, in similar situations to what I saw with my own eyes in Ukraine. Ever since then, I have had this burden in my heart…and I have volunteered occasionally, been somewhat involved in the ONE campaign, given here and there to organizations, supported 2 children through Compassion International, and knew that “someday” I’d like to adopt a child as my own… but as my life moved on, I didn’t feel I had given a real answer to a calling God has for me...NOW. You see, I believe God moves our hearts in ways that we cannot help and cannot understand, in order to get us to be HIS HANDS and HIS FEET in our world. What I do know is that I am moved, literally, to tears when I even see commercials about hungry children, when I volunteer at the Women’s Shelter in Nashville and see these children who are captive to situations not of their doing, when I hear of babies with no “mama”… and I know that this stirring of my heart is from God. So, about a year ago, while I was pregnant with my own baby (and the word “orphan” became more real, understandable, and sad to me), I really began to feel a deeper yearning to become involved. I started praying heavily and asking earnestly that God would direct my footsteps down the path He wants me to follow, so that I can be used now, right where I am in my life, to help this orphan crisis in our world, both near and far. Through a crazy, definitely-not-coincidental series of events, God answered, and I found myself, one night, in the living room of a woman named Kelly Putty, founder of Ordinary Hero (http://www.ordinaryhero.org). As I listened to her share her heart, I realized that she, as well as many others, share this burden for children, and want to ACT. Out of her desire to act was birthed Ordinary Hero, an non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the needs of children both “across the street and around the world” through all kinds of services and ministry projects. While the task of changing our whole world seems too daunting and unattainable, Kelly’s mission through Ordinary Hero, is to keep our focus within grasp…and just “ CHANGE THE WORLD FOR ONE”…one at a time. And this approach makes it possible, even for an ordinary person like me, to become a hero!

So what does all this have to do with YOU? Well… we are having our first-ever benefit dinner and silent auction to raise awareness about this wonderful organization, right here at home, that needs your support! The tickets for dinner are $40 per person. The ticket price will just cover our costs for the dinner itself, so we are hoping to raise money for the foundation, itself, through the silent auction and charitable donations. Obviously, just a night at the Hermitage Hotel is a treat in itself, but there will also be a delicious dinner, musical entertainment, a silent auction, and stories from real people that Ordinary Hero has touched already. So I am calling on you, my friends and family, to join us April 29! Come and see for yourselves what “ORDINARY HEROES” look like…and become one!

Also, I have had several people who have already committed to come, and asked about being a table host. If this is you, the cost of a table is $400, which comes with 10 tickets. We have lots of tables to fill, and want as many people as possible to learn about Ordinary Hero, so we could really use your help! Please feel free to forward this email to anyone else who you think may be interested in getting involved!

Please just respond to me via email (dandrews@tlcmedical.cc) if you would like to come. We will be sending formal invitations in the near future to anyone who may be interested.

Lastly, if you are unable to attend this event but would like to make a donation to Ordinary Hero, you may do so through the website.


Thank you, in advance, for your support!


Sincerely,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment