Saturday, February 6, 2010

...And she's off!

To be honest, I have been debating on this post for a while now. You see, once I say it, I am accountable to all of you, to do it... but if I just keep the thought in my head, I am free to back out, right? That's kinda how I think, anyways. But tonight I decided, "You know what, Dana---you NEED accountability! You WANT to do this! You WANT to succeed!"...so I am telling all of you...

I am training for a triathlon!!!! Eeek! There... I said it! And if any of you just burst out laughing, STOP IT RIGHT NOW! :) I am going to do this!

Honestly, it has been one of my life-long goals for a while now. Back in my early college years I sat down and made a list of things that I want to do in this lifetime...Run a marathon (Still can't believe I did that one!), learn how to surf, adopt a child, spend some time in Montana (weird one, I know)...complete a TRIATHLON! It's just one of those things that I want to do. And look at me. I am not exactly your "Mrs. Fit" or anything...more like a triathlon "misfit", right? :) But back in October, a friend of mine, Sally, challenged me to join she and her husband in training for a summer triathlon. I didn't commit. Wouldn't. I was so intimidated to even THINK of joining these two super-in-shape peeps. I mean, honestly, what if they have to CARRY me across the finish line??? But then over the past few months, I remembered my "bucket list" and realized my need to get healthier, myself, and so I called Sally back and accepted her challenge.

So there. You guys are officially "in" on my upcoming goal. I am trying to run a few times a week...and Sally says I need to get into some spin classes soon to get my legs used to pumping. Problem is, I almost DIED in the last spin class I attended. Literally almost gave up the ghost right there on my stationary. :)

Running is really the only physical activity I have ever attempted (even in high school I didnt' play sports!)... so this is going to be interesting. Especially swimming. I don't exactly like strutting around a beach in a swim suit, much less participating in an athletic event-- in front of a CROWD-- in one!!! He he he...:)

But with all of these anxieties bouncing around in my head, I am still excited! I know i can do it if I put my mind to it! When the miles get long, like they did today, and my legs feel like tree trunks...and my body tells me to STOP, I turn up my music and claim my truth, "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH!!!!!"... and, like today, I achieve my goal!
So, friends, ask me how I'm doing. I need your accountability! Say a prayer for me, I need it! And I will keep you posted on how the training is going!
...And she's off!!!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to start swimming with you! You will have the best strokes in the triathalon when we get done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can do it! With the Lord on your side you can't fail. You go girl! Love,Greta

    ReplyDelete